Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 761397 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
Fixed a small issue in the nec v35 cpu core where a pointer would get trashed on savestate load.
My Ken-go savestate from last night wouldn't work today, so a bit of investigating was in order... Luckily it was a very simple fix!

best regards,
- dink

Offline Freddy

Fixed a small issue in the nec v35 cpu core where a pointer would get trashed on savestate load.
My Ken-go savestate from last night wouldn't work today, so a bit of investigating was in order... Luckily it was a very simple fix!

best regards,
- dink

dink, Gargoyles is not working here. The game opens but I can't play with the character!

Offline Barry Harris

• dontbeabarry
  • I'm Barry Harris and I like to f*** people over
dink, Gargoyles is not working here. The game opens but I can't play with the character!

Are you using the latest FB Alpha?

Actually, try disabling the ASM 68K core - it doesn't support the TAS callback (which Gargoyles requires). The MD driver should probably be updated to auto-switch to Musashi.
Account of Barry Harris; the traitor.
Send me an e-mail at barry@fbalpha.com letting me know how big of a piece of sh** I am.

Offline Freddy

Actually, try disabling the ASM 68K core - it doesn't support the TAS callback (which Gargoyles requires). The MD driver should probably be updated to auto-switch to Musashi.

That's the problem. Fixed! TY  :wink:

Offline dink

• Administrator
Thanks to vbt, me and iq_132, we now have Zaxxon, Super Zaxxon and Congo Bongo in our favorite emulator! :)

Offline Huggybaby

Hooray, what classics, thanks guys!

Offline WILOWAR

Happy New Year !!! :biggrin:

Offline dink

• Administrator
Finally got to the bottom of Battle Bakraid crashing in level 5.  Didn't think I'd ever figure this one out, which is why I never mentioned it.  I think its some sort of protection-type thing - at the first big ship (mid-boss) in level 5, the game tries to read 2 samples at around the 16meg mark, yet the game only uses a 12meg samplebank.  What made this one hard to track down is that it wouldn't always do the weird read at 16megs into the samplebank, it happened every couple of games at best - and reproducing it with a savestate is almost impossible - the game has to be played from the beginning to trigger it.
Anyways, its always a good feeling to have fixed an elusive crash/bug like this one.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Huggybaby

I'd love to hear the details of that detective job dink.

Offline dink

• Administrator
Huggybaby right on :)  Here's the long/boring version: Well, when FBA crashes, basically you get an address where it crashed - and that translates to a line in the source code.  First thing I did was sorta trace out how the code executed (in my head) around the part that crashed, and see if anything leading up to it might have caused the issue,  but everything looked kinda alright, I even checked the other similar drivers, and they were using the same exact code, but not crashing.  I wasn't getting anywhere so I decided to check the MAME svn history for the ymz280b soundchip core, since our ymz280b core is probably more than a few years old, maybe something was done to the one in MAME to prevent a similar problem?  Luckily, there was, I went and added the rom size checking in a way similar to how they did it in MAME - but I had it pop up a little message if something went ary.  I then proceeded to play through Battle Bakraid 3 times, and on the third time, up came my message - and FBA didn't crash, so I knew I had it :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
Nice work dink!! it wasn't an easy one to track down your perseverance always impresses me

Offline dink

• Administrator
Added Battle Garegga Zakk version
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=20888

Changes:

1. Mahou characters are unlocked. No more konami code every credit!
2. Rank no longer gets worse with every game played. You won't have to
reset your board after a bunch of consecutive plays to restore default
rank

Offline dink

• Administrator
A side effect of the previous Mr. Heli fix was yet another glitch further into the game.  Now they're both fixed, and hopefully it doesn't cause problems with any other irem m72 game.  *fingers crossed*

I can sorta see why there hasn't been any bug reports for this game, its hard as hell!!

Offline dink

• Administrator
While playing some classic games today I noticed that the tempo of the music was all over the place in the classic Capcom shooter Exed Exes (also known as Savage Bees).  Kinda like a "warped record" effect, anyways, it sounds a lot better now :)

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
FINALLY! Fixed the music in Terra Cresta, both YM2203 & YM3526 versions! :)
Also, fixed jerky video & audio in Vulgus.

best regards,
- dink