Author Topic: Can you map pause to a gamepad?  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Gamera

Can you map pause to a gamepad?
« on: May 12, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »
Is there a way to do this?  I've been trying to find one with no luck so far.  With my set up, I'm outputting the video from a computer to a large screen TV, so getting over to the keyboard would be too much of a pain to pause the game.  With Mame, I'm able to map pause directly to the game pad, but I haven't been able to find a way to do that with any other arcade emulator so far.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Re: Can you map pause to a gamepad?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »
I've not seen a way for this either... I think it would be a nice feature to have. ^^

Offline Gamera

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 07:25:06 PM »
Thanks.  If there's a simple edit I could do to some kind of file, I'd be willing to try that as well.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:21:00 AM »
Guys:
Yes - but you have to think outside the box :)

I have pause, "turbo mode" (to get past slow machine boots), save state & load state mapped to my gamepads buttons - all you need is a little proggy called Joy2Key, and its freeware (up until ver.3.79), get it here: http://www.idiombox.com/oneswitch/JoyToKey_(v3_79).zip
Here's a little tutorial: http://www.oneswitch.org.uk/2/I/JoyToKey/JoyToKey.htm

Joy2Key FBA mini-tutorial:
load Joy2Key, create a new profile called FBAlpha
go to Windows Control Panel -> click Game Controllers (in winXP - I don't know what it is called in win8)
hit properties for your gamepad, then press on the game button you want for Pause, and write down the number that lights up in the gamepad properties.
go to the Joy2Key window, cluck that Button #, and press the Pause key, then click OK :)
Thats all there is to it!

*of course, your button#'s will be different depending on your gamepad, I'm just using mine as an example*

Lets also configure Save / Load states:
I want the savestate button to be L2 on my Dualshock3 gamepad, which is button#5, click "button 5" in Joy2key, press F10 - which is the save state key in FBA, then OK
Load state will be button#6, which is R2 on my gamepad, so click "Button 6" in Joy2Key and press F9, which is the load state key.
Lastly, I want to map the [select] button to "turbo mode", so when I hold the select button, FBA will go full speed.  in FBA, speedup is the F1 key, so I map that to Button 7 in JoytoKey (Button 7 is my [select] button on the gamepad).

Got it?  ;p

best regards,
- dink

Offline Gamera

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 06:16:17 AM »
Thanks!  It worked!  Although, I did try that before, but I guess I did something wrong last time I tried to use Joy2Key.  I would please request adding this option to the emulator though.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 03:14:21 AM »
I tried to think of a good way to do this without changing too much code, and here's what I came up with - so far its just an idea:
When no game is loaded, Map Inputs is greyed out.  Well, the idea is that it will not be greyed out anymore with no game loaded, but in this case, it will bring up a list like:
Pause
Load state [from active slot]
Save state ""
Turbo Mode (for blowing past machine inits)
and maybe a few other usefull things.

What do you guys think?
best regards,
- dink

Offline Gamera

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:06:55 AM »
Sounds like a great idea!  I think any option to do it would work for me, whether it's that, another menu or whatever else.

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 03:53:45 AM »
Look for these features in the next release of FBA :D