Author Topic: nFBA initial stable release  (Read 30045 times)

Offline 0746

• Expert
nFBA initial stable release
« on: February 11, 2008, 12:04:27 AM »
OK. This is probably gonna bore 90% of the people here to death so you might wanna keep your mouse pointer over the back/close button if you care for your life.

nFBA is a netplay enhanced version of FBA. Notable features:
- Really bad sound =)
- CPS3 drivers stolen from FBAE R15 =)
- Higher system requirement than normal FBAs =)
- Removed compatibility with normal kaillera clients =)

- Other features:
- Online latency compensation of Neogeo/Cps1/Cps2 games =)
- I don't remember =)

That sums it up =)

source
destination
other destination 1
... goes on for ever

If you cbf downloading all that... just download http://kaillera.movsq.net/install/nfba.zip ... unzip and run download.exe ... and BAM! C Drive formatted within 2 minutes! =)

Anyways....have a nice day fellas =)

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
Re: nFBA initial stable release
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 12:59:39 AM »
Wow! Very cool!  I'm going to take a look at the source asap!

Offline Aquashark

• Newbies
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 02:52:10 AM »
0746 is trying to be modest
nFBA + his kaillera peer2peer client = almost no input delay with little frameskip @ really high pings (>120ms).

for example: matches between someone in Eastern Europe and someone from East Coast/Central USA are not a matter of science fiction anymore. people on the same continent should have an almost perfect playing experience (results may vary with crappy connections and routing).

this is the next best thing to GGPO as far as netcode is concerned and the difference is closing in.
good job man as always <3

Offline Athelstone

• Newbies
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:25:40 AM »
Yes...you most certainly are being modest - this is astounding. You've just gone and surpassed standard kaillera in every possible way by adding the waiting list. There's no reason to use standard kaillera anymore, as it has always been an inadequate netplay solution that we've had to put up with for many years. The only suggestion I have at this time is to make the "enlist in waiting list" option enabled by default, so we can start to see lots of games appearing on here. Yes GGPO is far more sophisticated, but as Aqua stated this is the next best thing by many many miles. I would also request, if it is possible, for Captain to add your code to the next version of FBA enhanced.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 07:28:19 AM by Athelstone »

Offline DF723

• Newbies
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:16:07 AM »
Note to novice users:

Be careful when using the F2/F3 keys offline because these keys represent "Super (duper) fast-forwarding" option. To disable it, simply press F1.

I don't know if this option is enabled during netplay...............

EDIT: Looks like the very latest nFBA doesn't have this offline "fast-forward" function. F2/F3 now back to its normal operation.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:05:50 AM by DF723 »

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »
OK. This is probably gonna bore 90% of the people here to death so you might wanna keep your mouse pointer over the back/close button if you care for your life.

nFBA is a netplay enhanced version of FBA. Notable features:
- Really bad sound =)
- CPS3 drivers stolen from FBAE R15 =)
- Higher system requirement than normal FBAs =)
- Removed compatibility with normal kaillera clients =)

- Other features:
- Online latency compensation of Neogeo/Cps1/Cps2 games =)
- I don't remember =)

That sums it up =)

source
destination
other destination 1
... goes on for ever

If you cbf downloading all that... just download http://kaillera.movsq.net/install/nfba.zip ... unzip and run download.exe ... and BAM! C Drive formatted within 2 minutes! =)

Anyways....have a nice day fellas =)

Interesting stuff man ^^, I'm not feeling very well of health these days and I stopped working on FBAE until I get better, but when I get better I will definitely take a look at your netplay updates  :wink:

It's good to see more improvements from others too  :smilie:

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin:

Offline 0746

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:05:10 AM »
nFBA Dev Test Release 9

Changes:

* Started with fresh 0.2.96.73 sources
    * Put dev test release 9 splash (most important step :p)
    * Copied over most of the capcom rollback caps stuff from old sources (cbf doing them again. checked the diffs and only the driver files & crypt section is different)
    * Copied over all the interface stuff (about 3 characters changed in lowpass2.cpp)
    * Modified kaillera implementation
    * Copied over neogeo stuff
    * Updated CPS3 section with oopsware's website stuff
    * CPS2 1 frame emulator side delay thing eliminated
    * Enhanced CPS3 Resync

Known problems:

* Haven't been tested at all
    * The input with gigawing driver: For some reason its still 1 frames like with ordinary FBAs. It's acting more like it has 0.5 frames delay (it responds instantly but stays for one extra frame).
    * Neogeo driver still seems to have at least 1 frames delay. I am guessing its dependent on the way these games read input. Neogeo BIOS has +2 frames delay whereas games like samsho and last blade 2 has +1 frame in game delay.
    * Garbled sound: Hopefully, it will be fixed before the april release.

Confusion about latency compensation: If a driver supports latency compensation and its used with latency compensation online, it will only compensate for the number of frames of delay displayed on your p2p window when you start your game. So if a driver has 2 frames intternal delay (Neogeo for example) and when you start you game it says 3 frames delay, you will still have 2 frames input delay from the emulator. So no! you don't get 0 frames delay! You just can't tell. If you use the traditional delay mode, it will have 2+3 = 5 frames delay like any other non-latency compensating emulator.

Compiler troubles with the previous version: I did not use vc++ and my code does not compile with it.

Full pack (nFBA + sources + p2p kaillera + modules): http://kaillera.movsq.net/wip/nfbadtr9.exe (5 mb)

Cya all in April =)

Offline DF723

• Newbies
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:26:16 AM »
Thanks for the update, but I got a problem with it:

Once I opened up 3rdS with this offline, everything within the game would move so very very rapidly, like it was warping. How can I stop this?

Offline 0746

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 12:44:30 AM »
forgot to take out the test code for latency compensating drivers... Thanks for the notice. Ill upload another installer soon.

Offline CaptainCPS

• FBNeo Dev
  • FB Alpha Team
    • CaptainCPS's Home
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 12:49:19 AM »
ThanX 0746! ^^ , that goes for all your efforts to make NetPlaying better or more accurate in FBA :wink:

SeeYaa!
 :biggrin:

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 12:57:58 AM »
    * The input with gigawing driver: For some reason its still 1 frames like with ordinary FBAs. It's acting more like it has 0.5 frames delay (it responds instantly but stays for one extra frame).

IIRC, gigawing is one of the few cps2 games that's really affected by the fact that the 68k cpu is slowed because of memory accessing (wait states?).  The CPU is clocked slower in FBA and MAME than it is on actual hardware.  This leads to a 1 frame lag... or something like that.  Not only that, it's got a special routine just for holding the previous frame.

Also... amazing progress :) I'm going to have to pester cap to get online and play a few rounds of SFIII (maybe he won't get lagged out so damned bad this time. :D)

Offline 0746

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 04:17:57 AM »
I see. I remember seeing something in the palette section about lag but I thought its something intrinsic to the system. I guess removing it would make the emulation less arcadish" :p. Really appreciate the heads-up =)

Offline baconsoft

HELP! Cannot host SF 3S with nFBA and Kaillera
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 09:49:06 AM »
Hi
I hope this is the right place to post queries re NFBA/Kaillera P2P queries but I am having a really really annoying problem (Im a noob, be gentle! )
I am unable to host a SF 3S game as opponents are unable to connect to me. I have forwarded the ports on the router and the firewall. When I click on host in Kaillera and go to whatismyip.org to scan the port (27886) it times out. I have other P2P applications and when I scan the port numbers forwarded for these apps everything is fine. In order to try and troubleshoot I have performed the following which did not work:

Changed default host port number to 33333 (forwarded this on router and changed in Kaillera)
Turned off router firewall and software firewall (Comodo)
Checked Force port option in Kaillera
Hard reset the router
Kicked my laptop

Is there some magic button I am not pressing here, some known problem with nFBA/Kaillera or am I just being lame?

Any help with this would be greatly, greatly appreciated

Offline 0746

• Expert
Re: HELP! Cannot host SF 3S with nFBA and Kaillera
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 06:04:33 PM »
Hi
I hope this is the right place to post queries re NFBA/Kaillera P2P queries but I am having a really really annoying problem (Im a noob, be gentle! )
I am unable to host a SF 3S game as opponents are unable to connect to me. I have forwarded the ports on the router and the firewall. When I click on host in Kaillera and go to whatismyip.org to scan the port (27886) it times out. I have other P2P applications and when I scan the port numbers forwarded for these apps everything is fine. In order to try and troubleshoot I have performed the following which did not work:

Changed default host port number to 33333 (forwarded this on router and changed in Kaillera)
Turned off router firewall and software firewall (Comodo)
Checked Force port option in Kaillera
Hard reset the router
Kicked my laptop

Is there some magic button I am not pressing here, some known problem with nFBA/Kaillera or am I just being lame?

Any help with this would be greatly, greatly appreciated
Come to the SRK IRC channel...the one you were in yesterday. You'll find me.

Offline baconsoft

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »
Come to the SRK IRC channel...the one you were in yesterday. You'll find me.
OK thanks 0746 Ill try and catch you there

Cheers