Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 761236 times)

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
I think the problem with Crude buster is interesting, it might or might not be related to the problem in Vapor Trail.  What I've noticed from a quick debugging: when the flamethrower guy shoots a flame, the game loads 0x1b into the soundlatch and does an interrupt on the h6280 44 times per blast, and each time an interrupt is made, it speeds up the tempo slightly.  I'd like to look into this more later on today.

(Regarding FBA only) Earlier today, after making the /3 modification to Vapor Trails soundcpu, I played the game from beginning to end - it works a treat, and is good enough for me until a better fix is available.   Who knows when that will be?  The people want to play the game ;)

bye for now & best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
I got Crude Buster at the flamethrower guy to sound right, now: [try] fix the sprite problem in Vapor Trail..

EDIT: problem fixed!  The torso of that spider-machine is actually a background layer, which was 8pixels askew causing the part of the the legs and feet which are sprites to not line up properly.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:29:26 PM by dink »

Offline dink

• Administrator
Air Buster - fix slowdowns at mid-boss & busy screen
Arkanoid - was sometimes getting selected as a bootleg due to uninitialized variable, fixes some weirdness, also lowered volume a little so that it doesn't heavily distort with the lowpass filter enabled.

Big thanks to Zazzone for reporting these.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Regarding the recent Armed Police Batrider bug in MAME... (I just had to test it...!)
Good news, our Gob-Robo is OK :) [see piccy]
Bad news, our dips for Stage Edit, Player Select and Guest Players are backwards (disable = enabled), and have been fixed.

thats all,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
More good news:
1942: improved sound quality
Pocket Gal Dx: fixed music

- dink

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
A whole host of new fixes and improvements great to see

Offline csmart

Great job Dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
thanks guys!

p.s. don't be afraid to report any bugs or quirks here (or in the FBA Bugs Thread: http://neo-source.com/index.php?topic=1731.0) - even if you don't think its that important, we would still like to hear about it :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
Hi guys, some good news : Konami GT / RF2 & Hypercrash are now playable :)
If there are control issues with these games after upgrading to the new (future) version of FBA, you'll have to reset the dip's to default for both of these games. Ctrl-F5, click [Defaults] then [OK]

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
I'm quite happy about this one..
I got the MSX->SG-1000 ports of King's Valley, Knightemare & Twinbee to boot on the sg-1000 emu (in FBA!), also Q-bert and a few others that had problems now work :D (Yie Ar Kung Fu II, Rally-X, Konami's Road Wars, and some more I forgot)
These games were ported from MSX by some Taiwanese company in the early 80s.  The MSX has very similar to the hardware to the SG-1000 (99x8 vdp, sn soundchip, z80).  The carts have ram in them to make up for the lack of ram that the SG-1000 has (1k) and it wasn't being mapped properly.

Secondly, all of the SG-1000 games have been clonenized, so the game listing will look much nicer/cleaner now.

best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:27:23 PM by dink »

Offline vbt

• FBNeo Contributor
I'm quite happy about this one..
I got the MSX->SG-1000 ports of King's Valley, Knightemare & Twinbee to boot on the sg-1000 emu (in FBA!), also Q-bert and a few others that had problems now work :D (Yie Ar Kung Fu II, Rally-X, Konami's Road Wars, and some more I forgot)
These games were ported from MSX by some Taiwanese company in the early 80s.  The MSX has very similar to the hardware to the SG-1000 (99x8 vdp, sn soundchip, z80).  The carts have ram in them to make up for the lack of ram that the SG-1000 has (1k) and it wasn't being mapped properly.

Secondly, all of the SG-1000 games have been clonenized, so the game listing will look much nicer/cleaner now.

best regards,
- dink
great job Dink (as always)

Offline JacKc

• FBNeo Dev
  • Hasta la vista, Baby !
Really nice job dink for tracking and fixing bugs in various drivers :smilie:

I really like what you're doing in the Team since your arrival !!!

Offline dink

• Administrator
Thanks JacKc, thanks vbt  :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
The daily waffle, by dink
~~
Gradius 2 savestate overhaul..
Bug #1
After loading a saved state from Gradius II / Vulcan Venture, you would be greeted with the playscreen for 1-2 frames, then it would crash and complain about the roms being bad.  Turns out that an irq on both cpu's was being lost, and this would somehow throw the games internal timers out of sync [or something like that].
Bug #1.5
Also fixed a problem with the k007232 soundchip & savestates, it was playing the wrong instruments after a state load -or- crashing sometimes, and has been fixed :)

There has also been a handfull of small bugfixes/tweaks to certain games that aren't really worth mentioning.

thats it for now,
best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
Donkey Kong Jr. - tweaked the sounds/sample volumes to make the game sound much, much better.  Its perfect now :)
Next up: try to get sfx working in Donkey Kong 3..... (maybe!)

best regards,
- dink