Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 762956 times)

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
Re: dink's FBA Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #810 on: February 16, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »
We do support the RF5C68 - it's used in System 18. But the V60 is the bigger stumbling block anyway. :)

My fault, I ignored that System 18 and System 32 use the same Audio Control IC... in any case, as you wrote, the "V60 core" emulation is the bigger stumbling block! :)

Offline Pityesz

• Ultimate Knight
« Reply #811 on: February 16, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »
It is sad. That is my favorite part of the Golden Axe series.  :p

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #812 on: February 16, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
We do support the RF5C68 - it's used in System 18. But the V60 is the bigger stumbling block anyway. :)
Not to mention the nasty looking video section. Blech.

Offline Pityesz

• Ultimate Knight
« Reply #813 on: February 16, 2016, 03:03:07 PM »
Then a question. What does the "Imperfect Protection Emulation" and the "Incomplete Dump" mean? Some games has these lines as note (for example some version of Knights of Valour, or the Oriental Legend Special Plus).

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #814 on: February 16, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
Then a question. What does the "Imperfect Protection Emulation" and the "Incomplete Dump" mean? Some games has these lines as note (for example some version of Knights of Valour, or the Oriental Legend Special Plus).
Knights of Valour should have both of those. What it means specifically for that game is that the game uses a custom CPU (ASIC27A / ARM7) to supply protection to the main CPU of the game (Motorola 68k). The protection CPU's ROM is stored inside the block that the CPU is in and is undumpable/undumped. Currently the protection CPU is simulated by writing code that returns (hopefully) the correct information to the main CPU to allow the game to work properly. However, it can't be guaranteed that everything is perfectly simulated, so you may get weird little bugs and edge cases because of this.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:46:47 PM by iq_132 »

Offline Pityesz

• Ultimate Knight
« Reply #815 on: February 16, 2016, 04:57:55 PM »
Oh I see. Then it should work (yet not the most accurate way), however isn't guaranteed it always work. At least it is playable and can be played through if nothing happens. Or something like this. :S

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #816 on: February 16, 2016, 05:06:02 PM »
Oh I see. Then it should work (yet not the most accurate way), however isn't guaranteed it always work. At least it is playable and can be played through if nothing happens. Or something like this. :S
Right. IIRC in kov there's a sword in the first area on the boat that cannot be picked up -- due to protection issues.

Offline Pityesz

• Ultimate Knight
« Reply #817 on: February 16, 2016, 05:41:17 PM »
That isn't make the game unplayable. Maybe one time there will be a more accurate dump. But the game is fun even with these little bugs too.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #818 on: February 17, 2016, 09:41:56 AM »
Hey guys, this is my development thread :)  Let's keep it that way. ..  or else!!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #819 on: February 17, 2016, 09:45:20 AM »
well, this is embarrassing.  looping of samples was broke in our sample player, well, now its fixed.  Luckily I realized the problem whilst enjoying a game of DonPachi w/cd-quality music, and when the music stopped in level 2 .... uhoh!  This bug affected all games that use samples for music in the last release of FBAlpha: Fire Shark, Ghox, Vimana, Teki Paki, DonPachi cdquality mod, etc..  sorry about that!

best regards,
- dink

Offline Pityesz

• Ultimate Knight
« Reply #820 on: February 17, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »
Sorry about that. Since the Wolf Fang made its way to the perfection I'm happy no matter if the other games will never be added.  :biggrin:

===EDIT===

The Gradius 3's graphics is messed up, no matter how I change the settings. I not really tested all the things however since I like the Salamander more (which is works perfectly), only one of my friend said it. I just checked out if it really that messed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 05:32:52 PM by Pityesz »

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #821 on: February 18, 2016, 01:08:08 AM »
The Gradius 3's graphics is messed up, no matter how I change the settings. I not really tested all the things however since I like the Salamander more (which is works perfectly), only one of my friend said it. I just checked out if it really that messed.

I already asked dink about the Gradius 3 issues (through pm), this was the answer:
... about gradius 3, we know about these issues if we fix them, later on in the game it gets bad again.  So at the moment we put this aside until we come up with a good fix.  But on the other hand, we don't know everything, so please keep letting me know if you find a problem :)

Offline Pityesz

• Ultimate Knight
« Reply #822 on: February 18, 2016, 08:46:25 AM »
He has right. It just slow down the development. If everything finished what are planned, then there enough time to fix this too. And what is better it will not mess up again since they not modify anything after that point. XD

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #823 on: February 24, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
After playing through Ikari Warriors and Victory Road, I realized we needed a better way to handle the rotary movements.  The "Joystick" bootleg versions of the games aren't great because of a few reasons.. there has to be something better... hmm...
So, I came up with an experimental new way of controlling rotary games - instead of buttons for rotate left / rotate right - how about a single button.. when this button is held, any joystick movement will move the rotation of your player/gun/etc in the direction the joystick is pressed.  Releasing the button goes back to regular player movement mode.

EDIT: - so, yea, this is quite unfortunate - the new code for this will only work in Ikari Warriors.  The other games which use rotation (tnk3, victory road, etc) get out of sync very easily - for example, 0 will be up and 4 will be down, but after the player dies, it could be 5 for up and 9 for down, but there is no way of knowing this at the moment.  Hmmm, maybe some debugging is in order?

That's it for now..
best regards,
- dink
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:38:48 PM by dink »

Offline BritneysPAIRS

« Reply #824 on: February 24, 2016, 11:08:18 PM »
I have done this for the xbox still needs a tiny bit of work for some games like heavy barrel as level 2 and level 5 point the gun to the right when it starts that level....

games like forgotten world I made them like robotron controls where the second stick point in the direction and shoots...let me know if you want to know how I did this or just the code...

think the way I had to do a lot was reset back to 0 if no shooting sound for one second...this way it resets at level start as well as player death