Author Topic: dink's FBN Development & Fixes thread  (Read 760185 times)

Offline pacioso

Re: dink's FBA Development & Fixes thread
« Reply #1335 on: June 01, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »
You're welcome!

To recap what I said via PM: some shaders only work on 16bit video, like xBR which you had selected - so it puts the video into 16bit mode when enabled.    Another thing I just noticed - the 16bit forced option from the enhanced blitter actually affects the Alt. blitter, and the Alt. Blitter doesn't even have this option - so you'll temporarily have to switch to the Enhanced blitter, select blitter options -> advanced options -> uncheck "force 16bit mode", then go back to the directx9 alt. blitter.  Maybe we'll add that option to all the blitters so switching around isn't necessary :)

best regards,
- dink

Clear! Thanks again :smilie:

Offline pacioso

« Reply #1336 on: June 05, 2017, 04:46:14 PM »
You're welcome!

To recap what I said via PM: some shaders only work on 16bit video, like xBR which you had selected - so it puts the video into 16bit mode when enabled.    Another thing I just noticed - the 16bit forced option from the enhanced blitter actually affects the Alt. blitter, and the Alt. Blitter doesn't even have this option - so you'll temporarily have to switch to the Enhanced blitter, select blitter options -> advanced options -> uncheck "force 16bit mode", then go back to the directx9 alt. blitter.  Maybe we'll add that option to all the blitters so switching around isn't necessary :)

best regards,
- dink

Would'n xBRZ (instead of xBR) solve the problem? In MAMEplus xBRZ works in 32bit mode without excluding alpha blending.

Offline dink

• Administrator
  • pie? I nearly bought one!
« Reply #1337 on: June 17, 2017, 08:52:31 AM »
Incase anyone has been wondering why I'd been so quiet lately - I've been working hard finishing up the Namco system 2 driver.  It's finally done.  What a relief :)
Tally: iq_132 spent about 3 weeks writing the initial driver, dink spent about 3 weeks finishing it.  I think this one somehow took longer than the initial F3 code.

best regards,
- dink

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #1338 on: June 17, 2017, 03:28:51 PM »
Thanks guys... outstanding work! :)

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1339 on: June 28, 2017, 12:30:09 AM »
news...
I think Namco System 2 is finally done.  I mean - I hope it's done :)  There are few people who know how much time I put into perfecting this one, so.. fingers crossed..

Games using a random number generator will now work properly with states/input recordings. (Centipede, Millipede, everything in Namco S2, and a few others...)

bye for now,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1340 on: July 02, 2017, 08:38:27 AM »
Shaved 4 seconds of the f6/gamelist window.  (in 2.999ghz compy-p4 time)

Very happy about this!

best regards,
- dink

Offline Gab75

• FBNeo Contributor
  • All games deserve to be emulated, more or less! :P
« Reply #1341 on: July 02, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »
Shaved 4 seconds of the f6/gamelist window.  (in 2.999ghz compy-p4 time)

Very happy about this!

Excellent work! :)

On my old laptop I5-2430M it's about three times faster! From 2.5-3 seconds to less than a second!

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1342 on: July 07, 2017, 09:31:36 AM »
Here's a little video showing off my recent work on Mystic Warriors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qyb2QrVaLs

There are still a few emulation-related glitches, but they are almost unnoticable compared to how it used to be..

Check out how awesome that intro/title screen scene is now!  <3
Also, the cargo-plane scene where you fly atop the green plane into the back of the cargo plane is perfect.  At first, this was the only part I was aiming to fix.

As a bonus, its a 1cc/longplay recorded without using any states or cheats.

best regards,
- dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1343 on: July 19, 2017, 11:52:23 PM »
dink's news & stuff:

One of the last issues with Megadrive has been quenched tonight.  I created a new soundchip for FBA called MD2612, which is a high quality ym2612 emulation based on eke-eke's gensplus-gx ym2612 core, which is based on the original MAME fm core.  It would have never been possible to backport the changes from eke-eke's gensplus-gx ym2612 core to ours, so the new one was created.  Also, the old one will be left alone for the time being.  This new core is running at the Megadrive's ym2612 native 53267hz (NTSC) and interpolatively resampled to your soundrate.

Good things noticed so far:
Mega Turrican's intro song is perfect(!)
Streets of Rage 2 "Punch & Jump" sfx fixed.

bye for now,
- dink

Offline Combone

« Reply #1344 on: July 20, 2017, 12:27:36 AM »
dink's news & stuff:

One of the last issues with Megadrive has been quenched tonight.  I created a new soundchip for FBA called MD2612, which is a high quality ym2612 emulation based on eke-eke's gensplus-gx ym2612 core, which is based on the original MAME fm core.  It would have never been possible to backport the changes from eke-eke's gensplus-gx ym2612 core to ours, so the new one was created.  Also, the old one will be left alone for the time being.  This new core is running at the Megadrive's ym2612 native 53267hz (NTSC) and interpolatively resampled to your soundrate.

Good things noticed so far:
Mega Turrican's intro song is perfect(!)
Streets of Rage 2 "Punch & Jump" sfx fixed.

bye for now,
- dink

Amazing News  :smilie: Congratulations dink

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1345 on: August 10, 2017, 09:17:32 AM »
Over the past couple days I'd been investigating a problem with games flagged BDF_16BIT_ONLY.  This includes Megadrive, Cave (not PGM Cave), CPS3.. So, when a game is paused and a mode change happens, such as going from windowed to fullscreen or back again, the screen would be blank.  It's a bug that's been illusive and bothered me for years..
It turns out the reason for this issue is nastier than I thought - If you're not @ 16bpp native, these systems will render +1 frame behind emulation.  Ouch.  :redface:  But.. its fixed now.  Any projects using FBAlpha as a core will have to c&p 2 lines of code from one of our default video cores (video/win32/vid_d3d.cpp:vidFrame()) to their core @ the next release. (unless something changes).

best regards,
- dink

Offline jan_klaassen

• FBNeo Dev
« Reply #1346 on: August 10, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »
You're right about the delay, it's about time to get rid of that.

However, using 3d hardware gets you the conversion from 15/16bit to 32bit for free, so you shouldn't be using any software conversion inside fba in that case -- it should only be used for the ddraw blitter (or when software gamma correction is enabled).

Offline dink

• Administrator
« Reply #1347 on: August 21, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »
While I was fixing more issues and improving the Megadrive emulation core,  Combone added a bunch of nice Sonic mods/hacks.  One of them in particular that stands out is Sonic Classic Heroes.  You start by controlling Sonic, and your 2 pals Tails and Knuckles follow along, and at any time you can switch between the other 2 characters - that's right - the game has double-AI and in-game character selector :)
I found a bunch of nice homebrew and demoscene stuff to add, also, including Monster World IV English, Mega Cheril Perils by the Mojon Twins, the new Maiaka demo from Resistance rel'd at Evoke 2017 a few days ago, Alex Kidd 2 for SMS final - we had a few requests for this over the past year and a half, but it was still in beta so I didn't add it.  Luckily MAME's git history reminded me that the final had been released ;)  Some piccy's:

Offline robsons2007

« Reply #1348 on: August 22, 2017, 11:19:29 AM »
While I was fixing more issues and improving the Megadrive emulation core,  Combone added a bunch of nice Sonic mods/hacks.  One of them in particular that stands out is Sonic Classic Heroes.  You start by controlling Sonic, and your 2 pals Tails and Knuckles follow along, and at any time you can switch between the other 2 characters - that's right - the game has double-AI and in-game character selector :)
I found a bunch of nice homebrew and demoscene stuff to add, also, including Monster World IV English, Mega Cheril Perils by the Mojon Twins, the new Maiaka demo from Resistance rel'd at Evoke 2017 a few days ago, Alex Kidd 2 for SMS final - we had a few requests for this over the past year and a half, but it was still in beta so I didn't add it.  Luckily MAME's git history reminded me that the final had been released ;)  Some piccy's:

Excellent work as always  dink :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline barbudreadmon

• Administrator
  • Helper
« Reply #1349 on: August 22, 2017, 01:31:08 PM »
By the way, i think there are some big endian issues with system 16 and megadrive drivers in fba (those games doesn't seem to work properly on ps3's libretro-fbalpha). If anyone got information on how to fix those (perhaps gamez fan if he still working on its xbox360 port ?), i would be interested.