Author Topic: What I've been working on (iq_132's work in progress)  (Read 803073 times)

Offline Johnboy

• Expert
    • http://johnboy.cjb.net
Re: What I've been working on (iq_132's work in progress)
« Reply #585 on: May 24, 2012, 12:19:32 AM »

Nice ones. Thx Lantus!

I played the CD version of totcaribbean once. It pretty much sucked.
But Bang2Busters looks interesting (a NITD clone) gamewise.

Offline lantus

• Expert
« Reply #586 on: May 24, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »
magspeed - a previously undumped seta1 rom. Thanks to NoVArcade for dumping and providing the rom
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:59:48 PM by lantus »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #587 on: June 11, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »
Figured out the memory maps and different sprite hookup for Mario Bros bootleg on Ambush hardware. :)
The colors are plain wrong though.

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #588 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:48 PM »
Added a driver for Cybertank. I'm hoping Barry will hook up the analog inputs for me. :)

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #589 on: August 11, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »
nice work looks good

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #590 on: September 09, 2012, 11:06:52 PM »
I ported a preliminary driver for the SegaG80 Vector games (preliminary because I haven't got sound or inputs hooked up).
Additionally, I added a filter for the vector graphics
- lines decompose a little bit every frame (motion blur-ish)
- lines blend together if they are close (alpha blending)
- Configurable
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:07:57 PM by iq_132 »

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #591 on: October 28, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »
Not entirely FBA-related, but I figured I should to a status report.

I have been working on giving a bit back to the MAME project (since it has been so instrumental to FBA's growth).

The first game I worked on for MAME was Metal Slug X.  It was the last official Neo-Geo game that was not properly emulated. The protection routines used by the game were patched out and the device was ignored -- it had been that way since it was added to MAME 0.35RC2 (June of 1999)!!. After a great deal of disassembling 68k routines, I, for the most part, figured out that the game compares a 4kb block of data at address 0xdedd2 of the program rom to whatever the protection device returns, but it does this a single bit at a time. The protection device seems to also have two modes of operation. As a note to all rom hackers -- a great way to remove the protection without all the complicated patches is to simply set all data from 0xdedd2 - 0xdfdd1 to 0!

Next, I took a look at IGS' Lord of Gun.  The protection for this game was fairly straight forward -- increment a counter and only return the proper value if the counter matches certain conditions.

After that, I looked at Data East's Caveman Ninja (Joe and Mac). The complicated parts of the protection routine were already figured out, so it took little effort to figure out the rest.  The device basically takes acts like ram, but modifies the data written, often putting it in different addresses than it is written to, and even xoring or shifting the data. The inputs are also mapped to the protection device.

Next was SunA's Ultra Balloon. The protection for this game was very similar to Lord of Gun's. Basically take some data, check some conditions on it. If it matches, return the expected result. This one takes a data write from the game, and compares bit 4 to bit 5, and bit 0 to 1. The device will return 0, 1, 2, 3 depending on the result of this comparison.

Next I fixed a bug I introduced a while back in Knights of Valour's protection simulation.  This resulted in the game crashing on level 6. It took me a while to play that far (even with cheats [Long game!]). It was simply a matter of comparing the old routines against the newer buggy one. I quickly noticed that the problem was with the routine that calculates where the background tile offset is.  I simply had to use a SIGNED variable instead of an UNSIGNED variable, as this routine expects to be able to use negative numbers!

Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (Rainbow set 1, bootleg) and Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (Rainbow set 2, bootleg) have had rom patches for a long time (since they were added?). After a quick look it was pretty easy to see that the games were reading from an unmapped area, taking the resulting reads, doing some simple math with them, adding them to an address, and then jumping there. This means that I can't be sure about the values that my protection
simulation is returning, but it works just fine.

Data East's Fighting Fantasy (bootleg with 68705) on dec0 hardware was my next target. It was just giving a black screen. After a quick glance, it was easy to see that it was using a completely wrong memory map (midres). After that change, it looked at what the game was doing -- looping over and over at a couple of addresses.  One turned out to be the VBLANK. I added a memory handler to deal with that and the other was the bootleg checking where the vblank was in the non-bootleg. It seems that the bootleg didn't want it to be the vblank, and lastly that was reading from an unmapped address expecting some data otherwise it wouldn't read the coin inputs! I finally left it as far as I could get it. It needs someone to look at layer 3 -- this is normally written by the sub cpu, but this game doesn't have one and seems to write it elsewhere.  I'm not sure about the data is uses though...

I also took a look at Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R (Japan) (bootleg) on Sega's c2 (MD-based) hardware.  This game had a very simple bootleg protection.  It simply expected to read -0x0b (0xf5) from a single address. With that, I could remove the rom hack patch that was added to make it work.

Lastly I added a driver and decrypt routines for The King of Fighters '97 Oroshi Plus 2003 (bootleg). This was dumped by Smittdog and the Dumping Union.  The C1 and C2 weren't dumped as they use some weird roms that Smitt didn't recognize. Not a big deal though -- JackC pointed out to me that the game seemed to be the same as kof97pla that is in FBA! After figuring out the decryption for the program roms, I verified that kof97pla was the same as kof97oro. This let me know that the Cx roms should match with the original kof97 ones. So I simply merged and scrambled them as they would be in the bootleg and the game worked perfectly!

tl;dr - I spent a lot of time working on things that your average MAME user is never going to notice. :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:11:01 PM by iq_132 »

Offline niabi

• Newbies
« Reply #592 on: October 28, 2012, 06:28:31 PM »
I went ahead and made a tutorial out of a driver I decided to write.

I've attached it in hopes it will help someone.. someday.

ahhh great! :D this might be what I need to do a "better" ( I say that very very very very lightly) port of Gunsmoke! one of my favorite games, but sound is off on FBA :(

Thanks!

Offline destronger

• Newbies
« Reply #593 on: October 29, 2012, 08:57:40 PM »
wish i had iq_132 abilities... :(

thanks for your contribution this scene & the xbox scene!
+ T +: Every time you mention Midway games in Final Burn, iq_132 kills a kitten!

Offline Huggybaby

« Reply #594 on: October 31, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »
Thanks for everything iq_132!

Offline neocvera

• Newbies
« Reply #595 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13:55 PM »
Wow man. You've been busy.

Offline jsjyqz

« Reply #596 on: October 31, 2012, 10:58:07 PM »
thanks very much for your work,iq 132,can you emulate the aliencha and clones,which also runs on lordgun.c hardware?

Offline Arcadez

• Expert
  • Arcade Addict
« Reply #597 on: November 01, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »
Nice work IQ thanks

Offline nareto

« Reply #598 on: November 03, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »
as always, Great work  :cool:

Offline iq_132

• Administrator
  • Definitely not Dink!
    • NeoSource
« Reply #599 on: November 03, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
thanks very much for your work,iq 132,can you emulate the aliencha and clones,which also runs on lordgun.c hardware?
Err these already work in fba and mame.

Everyone else thank you :-)